If you as a union member believe that the employer has violated the collective agreement, a law, or statute (ie. BC Human Rights Code) or if you need representation at a meeting you should follow the following steps:

  1. Contact the shop steward (from the Cupe 458 Contact List found on this website on the contact  page) that represents your department and inform he/she of the details regarding the alleged violation. Make sure that the steward has ALL of the pertinent information along with your contact information.
  2. If a steward is not available from your department refer to the Cupe 458 Contact List and contact a steward from another department.
  3. If you are having trouble contacting a shop steward contact your Unit Chair or the Local's Chief Shop Steward and explain your situation.
  4. If you are unable to contact any stewards, the Unit Chair or the Chief Shop Steward contact the Local President for assistance.

Please remember that your representatives cannot help if they are not informed of events taking place in the workplace. Contact a steward even if you are not sure whether a violation has taken place. Your representatives recieve on-going training to allow them to represent you to the best of their abilities. Local 458 has an excellent support system of stewards, executive board officers and a Cupe National Representative that assists the local with legal advice as well as collective bargaining assistance.

Click on the link below to view a chart that represents the proper chain of command within Local 458.